Monday 23 February 2009

Highlights of NRLA 2009

Franko B


I'm essentially a painter who also works in performance. I come from a visual art background and not "live art" or theatre, and this is very important to me as it informs the way my work is read. In the last 20 years or so I have developed ways of working to suit my need at that particular time, in terms of strategy and context, by using, installation, sculpture, video and sound.
Franko B
2008



I’m Thinking of You presents a surreal, dreamlike image... a romantic vision of childhood fantasy and abandon. The body is central, but we are also presented with objects and music, which take the viewer through a contemplative, personal experience.
The first inspiration for I’m Thinking of You came from a childhood object, which Franko B made into a sculpture, altered for safe use by adults. The idea was to allow adults to play, to forget their problems, to let go, or just to have fun - in the same way that children are allowed to. Over time, and through engagement with the composer Helen Ottaway, the idea has developed and changed, with Franko using performance and music as a means to create his desired image.
The piece is presented as a durational installation, with audience members entering in small groups for 5-10 minutes at a time to have their own encounter.


No comments:

Post a Comment